Monday, May 5, 2008

Reflecting on who I want to be

Remember that time I ate half a box of chocolates, felt sick, and then proceeded to eat the other half?!?!?!

Well clearly from the above line, it is quite obvious I didn't have the best of weekends.  I don't even really like chocolate that much, but at the time I felt it would make me feel better.  Or at least make me feel that it's okay to eat chocolate and sit and cry.  I have also been listening to sappy songs lately.  I love a good sappy song!  There is nothing like it.  They make me cry, they make me laugh, and they make me smile.  I feel like I could just belt out sappy songs at the top of my lungs all day long, but somehow I don't think my co-workers would like that.  Something to ponder though.  

Recently, I have been given the opportunity to really evaluate my life.  To really think what I want, what I need, and what I desire most in life.  This is something that has come with great pain and it is something that I didn't necessarily want to address, but it is something that is allowing me to really evaluate.  And today I don't have all the answers, or really any of them.  But it has gotten me thinking of why I began this weight loss journey.  And I think the sad reality of this journey began with wanting to look a certain way.  I will never be a size 1, and that is not what I aspire to be.  But I did want to be a "average" size.  And average to me is a size 6.  I wanted to get married, and on my wedding day, I wanted to feel beautiful, and I wanted to go into a wedding dress store, knowing, I could fit into those dresses.  I wanted to feel loved, desired.

And as I am evaluating, my reasons are beginning to change.  It is beginning to no longer be about the number on the scale, or about the size of clothes I wear.  I want to continue to strive to lose weight for health reasons.  I want to be able to walk long distances without being tired and out of breath.  I have spent the last 25 years being overweight, and I don't want to spend the next 25 that way.  

As I go on in this journey of weight-loss, of discovering myself, and figuring out what I want, I want to be able to look back and say I had the right intentions.  I made the most of what I had.  And I know I will have days when I eat an entire box of chocolates, and I need to not let that guilt hurt me.  I need to recognize my pain, my emotions, my hurt, and I need to be able to release those feelings in a constructive way.  I don't know what I want in this life.  I don't know where this life will lead me.  But I want to be happy.  I want to be happy within myself, with or without someone there to guide me.  And as I reflect, I can see the changes in me.  I can see the physical changes, and I can see the inner changes.  I see my strength, something I hadn't seen in a long time.  This journey isn't just about the weight coming off, it's about discovering me.  The woman I want to be.  Bold, strong, patient, nurturing, transparent.  The woman I strive to be.

No comments: