Friday, June 6, 2008

Running Club

So back in April, I walked the Sun Run, a 10km walk.  It was fine, I had blisters at the end, but overall, it was a fine walk.  But during the walk, a friend mentioned the idea of starting a running club at work.  She also wanted the goal to be to run a 
HALF MARATHON NEXT YEAR!  So I laughed quite hard, realized she was serious, and then proceeded to laugh some more.  But the more we talked about it, and the more I thought about it, I decided that this is something I need to do.  I certainly have no goal of a half maranthon, but I would like to be able to run in general, maybe a 5 or 10km.  I have always hated running, but I thought this is a good opportunity to challenge myself.

So we have a book to follow which is designed for people who don't run.  Each session is different, but the goal is to run 3 times a week, and each week you run a little farther.  I believe after 14 weeks the hope is that you can run for about an hour straight.  So session 1, of week 1 is this:

Step 1:  5 minute walking warm up
Step 2:  1 min run
Step 3:  2 min walk (it actually might be a 3 min walk, but I don't have the book in front of me)
Step 4:  Repeat steps 2 and 3, 8 times.
Step 5: 5 minute walking cool down

So you look at that and think "Run for one minute...I can easily do that!  After all, I do go to the gym."

Tonight I decided I wanted to try this out, we are not having our first real running session until Thursday, but I thought it would be good just to get a head start and see where I am.  There were a few problems to begin with.  Such as: it was getting dark outside, and when I say dark, I do mean it.  I began this at about 10pm.  Mental note, next time begin earlier.  Another problem.  I drove to the track I ran on.  So I needed to carry my car key in my hand while running.  Also, I do not have a watch, so I used my ipod to time myself.  So a few issues that will need to be worked out, but in the end those were really not my biggest problems.  

The biggest problem...it is damn hard!  5 minute warm up - EASY!  Run 1 minute - HARD!  Walk 2 minutes - EASY!  Run 1 minute - HARD!  At a few points I felt my lungs would collapse.  In the end, I was only about to repeat steps 2 and 3 4 times, not the 8 times.  So clearly this running club will not be as easy as I thought it would be.  

No comments: